Long Island Forecast
Saturday... Clear. High of 23F with a windchill as low as -6F. Windy. Winds from the NW at 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 40 mph.
Saturday Night... Clear in the evening, then partly cloudy. Low of 19F with a windchill as low as 7F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 20 mph.
Sunday... Mostly cloudy in the morning, then overcast with a chance of snow. High of 32F with a windchill as low as 14F. Winds from the WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
Sunday Night... Overcast with snow. Low of 21F with a windchill as low as 14F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 20 mph shifting to the ENE after midnight. Chance of snow 80% with accumulations up to 2 in. possible.
Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 3:34 am EST on January 31, 2015
... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Sunday evening through
The National Weather Service in New York has issued a Winter
Storm Watch... which is in effect from Sunday evening through
* Locations... metropolitan northeast New Jersey... New York City
and Long Island.
* Hazard types... snow with a period of freezing rain and sleet.
* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 5 to 10 inches... along
with less than a tenth of an inch of ice.
* Winds... northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
* Temperatures... in the mid 20s to the mid 30s.
* Visibilities... one quarter to one half mile at times.
* Timing... Sunday night and Monday.
* Impacts... hazardous travel is expected.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
Statement as of 5:46 am EST on January 31, 2015
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 10 am EST this morning...
* locations... southeast New York... northeast New Jersey and
* Hazards... strong winds.
* Winds... northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts 45 to 50 mph.
* Timing... early this morning.
* Impacts... the strong winds may down some tree limbs and power
lines... and make driving high profile vehicles difficult...
especially on elevated roadways and bridges.
A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph...
or gusts of 46 to 57 mph... are expected or occurring. Winds this
strong can make driving difficult... especially for high profile
vehicles. Use extra caution.
Latest Long Island Weather Stories
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:59:27 EST
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:29:00 EST
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:08:00 EST
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:00:30 EST
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:27:00 EST